Trying to decide if a “Swamp Cooler” is a good efficient way to cool your home? They can be…however, it depends on the circumstances. They have to have the right operating conditions in order to be able to function to their fullest ability.
Here is some information you might want to consider before deciding if a swamp cooler is a right fit for your needs.
Consider How Evaporating Cooling Works
When water absorbs heat – it evaporates. When air is forced over cool water, it speeds up the evaporation while removing the heat from the air.
- Swamp coolers bring in the warm air from outdoors and push it through the filter using the fan that is in the swamp cooler.
- When the air moves through the grid, it forces water to evaporate, which then cools the air throughout your home.
Downsides to Swamp Coolers?
You may think that having a swamp cooler is ideal. However, there are some downsides that come along with them. They actually do not work that well in high humidity environments, although their name “swamp” cooler may lead you to believe otherwise.
Not Ideal For Humid Environments
Humidity is what makes the air feel very sticky on those warm/hot days. When air approaches its limit for the amount of water vapor it can hold – that is when the evaporative cooling doesn’t work as well. Environments with high humidity don’t really work well with swamp coolers either!
- Air can’t evaporate water in high humidity – so that just means the cooler can’t get rid of the heat that comes from the air, which will then leave you with that same sticky air inside, that you get outside when it is humid.
Central Air Conditioning vs. Swamp Coolers
These are all some things to consider when deciding whether evaporative cooling is a better option for you than central air conditioning.
- Central air conditioning works really well in any climate, low humidity or high humidity, when a swamp cooler really depends on the supply of dry air you have.
- Swamp coolers may be more efficient as far as saving money goes, but they are not always effective or reliable.